Sunday, September 14, 2014

Evaluating, Implementing & Managing Instructional Programs & Projects

Search for at least two other models used for evaluation and summarize these models. Describe how you would use them to evaluate your instruction. Reflect on what other questions that instructional design evaluation should address besides whether the instructional design leads to comparable amounts of learning and learner satisfaction as traditional methods. What else would be useful to know?


A key factor to Peter Rossi’s Five Domain Evaluation Model is one that I believe needs to be at the top when it comes down to deciding which evaluation model to use. This factor is that of situational factors as I see them. This model focuses on what will work for that specific organization by what is needed locally, resources available and type of program. Anytime a new program is implemented it needs to be tailored to the specific organization for a successful outcome. Not all organizations are the same, let alone their overall goal. This is why I believe each organization should be viewed individually instead of similar organizations grouped together. For example, in my district we have recently changed our appraiser system. When I first joined my district we participated in PDAS. I did not have much experience with PDAS because it was being phased out as I was coming in, but from what I experienced it was an unfair measure of performance because no one classroom is identical to the other. Therefore, different appraisers viewed classrooms differently and really didn’t allow differentiation based on subject matter. Currently, we are utilizing the INVEST appraisal system which has four specific domains that focuses on the different parts that make up a classroom. What is unique and what I find to be the best part is that each curriculum has specific components in each domain that relate to their subject matter. This is beneficial because in a technology class, obviously technology was used during instruction and students had access. This is not comparable to a Math class where they may have 2-3 computers and students are limited to availability to reinforcement activities on the computers.

The way I could use Rossi’s Five Domain Evaluation Model is when I am looking at what ways to implement learning of photoshop. Now, I will say this, I have been teaching for four years and I think only two years, back-to-back, did I use the same method. When teaching such a tedious program, I really have to focus on keeping my students involved. In order to keep my students involved I try to work with images and corrective techniques that have a “wow” factor outcome (needs). I could teach my students, and I have done this previously, by giving them step-by-step instructions with pictures and let them work at their own pace. I have found this method of teaching doesn’t retain value to my students and if ever asked to complete those processes in a test, they were not very successful (impact). What I have found that works best is by modeling a few steps at a time, reviewing what my outcomes are when completing these steps, and then letting my students perform the same tasks as I am repeating them as I walk around the classroom. To take this a step further I have implemented vocabulary games, such as bingo and categories, so my students have more time to work with the terminology. Terminology has always been an obstacle to overcome because when taking a summative assessment of photoshop, I believe students were lost when it came down to vocabulary. Compared to previous years, the most recent school year had to be my most successful year with photoshop in my classroom. Time is a factor because it tends to slow the lessons down when going through the process of I show the steps, we review outcomes, and they perform. I would have to say that the student success rate of retained knowledge and the quality of work that is produced in their final project outweighs the time factors tremendously because when students take pride in their work, they truly win.

Michael Patton’s Utilization-Focused Evaluation is quit interesting because it focuses on what I would see as common sense. As it states in the book, “Evaluation process and findings are of no value unless they are used.” I interpret this as why would you evaluate something and not use it? A unique factor of this evaluation is that it is an all-inclusive approach. Users understand what the evaluation process produces and continuously work for the better of the organization. By involving the actual users and giving them a voice, this can empower as well as promote by-in to new approaches. The way I could implement this evaluation in my classroom is by using my previous example of the process of teaching photoshop. In order for my students to begin working on their final project in photoshop, I have to make sure they are prepared to work individually. While this is a long section of our class, I have to make sure that what was learned early on is still remembered in their minds. This is where repetition is key. Next, I have to make sure there are no barriers or obstacles to overcome. One obstacle I am faced with yearly is catching students up when they miss a lesson or two. It’s not like I can send them home to work on it at home as the program is expensive. I also have to make sure that my students are motivated to stay focused on the activity. In order to keep student involvement I allow my students to pick the topic of their collage so they can work with images of their choosing. From this previous year, I have noticed that students became the teacher for this specific activity. It was exciting to see their eagerness to help each other out when they needed a little reminder. As they worked through the collage they were implementing process of enhancement and having to decide if it worked well with the overall quality they were trying to produce or did they need to try something else. This assignment forced my students to create something they were proud of as well as continuously use the processes they learned early on in the year.

When looking at instructional design the most “common sense” question to me is did my students actually understand. It seems so basic, but in order to understand they have to be able to use it. I have to design my class to involve and create excitement so they will have motivation to appreciate the material. I guess I would say that a question that needs to be asked during instructional design is, how involved where the students; what was their level of enjoyment?

You have been assigned to develop a series of professional development sessions focusing on technology use in the classroom for teachers during a time of economic decline. How will you use Situational Leadership to facilitate this project and manage scarce resources?

The situation leader is a person that must adapt his or her leadership style to the individuals he or she is in charge of leading. As an example, teachers are like situational leaders. We must must adapt to the ways that our students learn in order for our students to learn. According to Dr. Paul Hersey's model presented in the book, there are four phases of situational leadership based on three factors: the amount of guidance and direction a leader gives; the the amount of socioemotional support a leader provides; and the readiness level followers exhibit in performing a specific task, function, or objective. 

If I were creating a training session during a time of economic decline, I would really focus on the participants and the overall objective. I know that when I go to staff development I tend to get bored, feel as though I am in a lecture that will never end, and think that this doesn't apply to me. From what I have experienced, I would try and incorporate that. I would start out the training as direct with information and observe how involved the participants are. This will allow me to adjust to how I need to present information. Since it is a time of economic decline I would get to know what the participants currently know and what resources they have access to. The last thing you want to do is sit through instruction that has nothing to do with your classroom or training on technology that you do not have. Once I know this information, I can take it a step further and really enhance what they already know. This is also a good time to create an environment that isn't teacher versus participants, but an environment where we are working together. I would incorporate activities where participants group together and share their experiences so they can build as well as feel comfortable because they are getting feedback as well as new ideas. I think it is so important for the leader to be involved in these activities because the leader can guide the participants and assist when needed. The overall goal that I would incorporate in this training is a positive attitude, communication skills and my willingness to help. I would also continuously remind them that I am here as a resource for them and beyond those sessions I am still available. This will allow the participants to leave the session and feel comfortable because if they have questions after they leave or forget something I am still a resource that they can have access to. 

2 comments:

  1. To me all evaluation is to improve or to check for validity of material. It can be subjective and based on common sense. I agree to begin with what is known when creating professional development to get buy in for training. I would also suggest make and take sessions in a sense of going online and searching for ways to use linkin in class. And yes we are their continued resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke,
    I like your ideas for professional development in times of scarcity. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that you would find out what resources were available to the participants. Are you going to do a whole day’s worth of training on cool iPad apps if the teachers do not have access to that technology? I think that part of instructional design, even that of a professional development session, is considering the available resources. If the session is relevant to the participants, then you will have better results. I also think it is a good idea to build a professional learning community within the group so that the participants can leave the session with a number of contacts with who they can share ideas.

    ReplyDelete