Sunday, September 28, 2014

Tech Play 3

A few tools that I experienced are listed below. I have had experience with some of these as we just introduced them into our curriculum at school.

Socrative: This is an app that is downloadable from apple as well as can be used on tablets and PC's as well. I like this app because it is very diverse. You can integrate standards that are aligned with your class. This app basically is used to monitor student learning in a different way. Students can respond with their answers or they could respond back with a picture they drew. An example is they could draw out the process for the water cycle. I do like this app because if used correctly, it could be used to assess certain standards that students are not getting and would allow me to see what areas of content I need to go over. You could also use this as an "exit ticket" for class. Easily pose discussions and have students give their response.

Storyboard That: this is a application that allows you to create scenes to depict a story. This could be used to tell a students interpretation of a war in history. Storyboard That allows you to add characters and scenes in a comic format from a vast amount of scenes. You can also add caption to tell the story of the scene. Once a student completes his or her story, they can share it with their instructor. There is a free version which doesn't give you all of the access to scenes, but the free version does still give you many options.

iMovie: This is an application program found on Mac books. This allows students to create videos, add text, music, voice overs and pictures to name a few. This would be beneficial with a student creating a science fair project. They could show the process of their project and then show the stages of advancement. A student could easily make this attractive by adding in music or images. If they wanted to show their findings at different stages of the project, they could add text to explain what is going on. This is free on Apple products.

These are just a few that I found, that I would use in my classroom. I like that each one can allow my students to express their learning in a different way which will be eye-catching to them as well as keep them interested. I have used storyboard that for two years and cannot rave enough about it. I have not only had students send me their interpretations, but also been able to see how they understand and their process for learning. I have even had a student to send me a storyboard depicting the students actions while I was out of the classroom...I had to admire their creativity!

I would like to use more of programs like iMovie or for those who are Windows users, Movie Maker. This can be used in multiple ways across many different disciplines. I could have students create a video showing the different pictures they have created in Photohsop. Utilizing this as a digital portfolio. They could use text and voice overs to identify skills they learned in each image and give explanation of obstacles they had to overcome as well as reflection. This is a project that I hope to incorporate this year. This would be a new way of using iMovie as we have used it previous years to create 90 second videos over assigned topics. The main categories of my curriculum is digital design and media forms.

Although these are only a few creative tools, there are millions more out their. I do like to use tools that are very interactive and possibly game oriented. I have used Powerpoint as a jeopardy game with my students, but this is shortly becoming boring to them as there is so much more out there. I do like trying to find fun apps, but sometimes when looking for them I am easily turned away because of price. I like to find apps that are appealing to my students, yet affordable....FREE! I do tell my students of apps that are out their, but would never force a student to use because you just never know their availability to resources. Plus, I try not to aggravate my parents. I have challenged my students to find apps that they would want to use and I sometimes have a hard time getting on board with their resioning. I find that they are more preoccupied with gaming apps than educational apps. I have tried to get students involved in words with friends and encouraged this app, but I find I don't have much student participation because it doesn't appeal to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment